Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How do I know if my Honda Civic condenser is bad?

I have a Honda Civic EX 1995. I live in Austin, TX and my car a/c works fine in the morning when its not that hot, but takes very long to cool in the afternoon/evening. In addition, the engine makes knocking sounds while idling with the A/C on. The mechanic told me that this was due to a condenser problem--and gave me a $400 quote! My question is if the condenser is bad, would the A/C cool at all?|||Not for long.


The ONLY purpose for the condenser is to exchange heat, and therefore transport refrigerant. No moving parts. If it fails, it won't retain its refrigerant.


If the refrigerant is low, the compressor could conceivably rattle or knock, but in that event the low pressure switch should turn off the compressor.


Have you had a front-end collision? Have you struck a parking curb too hard?


It is difficult to tell if the condenser is damaged without a good inspection.


Look at it VERY CLOSELY and see if it has any "wet" spots or areas where it appears oily. This is a clear indication of a leaky condenser.

No comments:

Post a Comment